Blue Cross blog
Start your healthy new year by running, walking or cycling for petsPosted on 17 Jan 2013
We’ve already given you some top tips to get your dog back into shape, but what about you? If your best intentions to get fit in 2013 are already waning, Blue Cross editor Natasha Kleanthous has some ideas to kick start your motivation again…
There’s a reason why you have to queue for the running machine at the gym in the first week of January – but by the end of the month, you’re the only person in the room.
Many of us make promises to lose those Christmas pudding pounds and get fit but, as the month drags on, with summer seemingly light years away, it’s very easy to lose your motivation.
Find a goal
What you need is a goal to work towards, and I should know – last year the thought of my impending climb up Ben Nevis kept me trooping obediently to the gym even when every inch of my body was telling me to stay at home and eat chocolate instead.
But what gave me that extra push was the thought that I wasn’t just doing it for myself – I was doing it to help sick, injured and homeless pets at Blue Cross.
In 2013 we have more amazing fundraising challenges than ever before for you to get involved in. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Mizuno Reading Half Marathon: Sunday 31 March. Join 17,000 runners and enjoy the adrenalin of entering the famous Madejski Stadium to the roar of the crowd as you finish this fabulous 13.1 mile course.
- Bupa London 10k: Monday 27 May. Run past many of London’s famous landmarks – so impressive you might even forget you’re out of breath.
- UK Coast to Coast cycle: 25-28 April and 15-18 August. Journey 136 miles from the Irish Sea to the North Sea, past stunning mountain ranges and open moors.
- London to Paris, Tour de France Edition: 17-21 July. The London to Paris Bike Ride is one of the most famous events in the world, and we can help you to be a part of it.
- Hadrian’s Wall trek: 12-14 April, 13-14 July and 6-8 September. Trek 25 miles along Hadrian's Wall – one wall, one epic adventure in just one weekend.
- London Trekathon: Walk 26 miles in less than 12 hours through the heart of London, taking in some of the city’s iconic 2012 Olympic venues.
We also have swimming, parachute jump and whitewater rafting challenges – and if you fancy going overseas, we’ve got an amazing husky adventure and desert trek.