Blue Cross blog
Your guide to the deguPosted on 27 Apr 2011
Degus can make great pets but they need constant environmental stimulation to keep them happy and healthy. Blue Cross small animal coordinator Katie Stiles has some tips on how to do this…
Degus are very sociable and active animals so it’s very important that they have plenty of enrichment. Here are some ideas:
- Exercise wheels – This will allow your degus to get the daily exercise they need.
- Wooden branches – These can provide your degus with an obstacle course, more levels to climb on and something tasty to chew. Safe woods to use include apple, hazelnut and hawthorn.
- Hay box – Degus need a supply of hay but why not make it fun by filling up a box and letting them forage?
- Grass box – This is great fun for degus and a natural way for them to forage.
- Digging pit – Degus love to dig so make them their own digging box using organic soil and sand.
- Treat ball – A great way to keep them busy and give them exercise.
- Toys – Jingly balls, sisal and corn toys are all great for degus to play with.
For more information visit our looking after your degu factsheet.