Blue Cross blog
Dog owners: are you lungworm aware?Posted on 05 Mar 2015
It’s Lungworm Awareness Month so you may have seen, heard or read more than usual about this nasty disease, which can be fatal to dogs. Mark Bossley, Chief Vet at the Blue Cross Victoria animal hospital, is here to tell you more about lungworm…
Lungworm has been a common problem in southern areas of England and South Wales for some time, but the number of cases diagnosed in northern England and Scotland has risen too, so people all over the UK should be aware of it.
How do dogs get lungworm?
Dogs get lungworm by eating larvae found in infected snails, slugs or frogs. They can also accidentally eat infected tiny slugs if they are on a toy or their fur.
The lungworm larvae then grow inside the dog and adult lungworms move through their body to live in their heart and blood vessels.
This can cause heart problems, breathing problems and pneumonia but in mild cases infection can remain unnoticed by owners.
After about 28 days the worms start to produce their own larvae which can lead to serious problems.
It can cause haemorrhages in the lungs, liver, intestine, eyes and spinal cord but also pretty much anywhere in the body. If left untreated, it can be fatal in severe cases.
Symptoms of lungworm in dogs
Diagnosing lungworm can be difficult because symptoms vary but they can include:
- breathing problems
- reluctance to exercise
- if a dog gets a minor injury, like a small cut, it might bleed for longer
- abnormal blood clotting
Vets can also examine a sample of the dog’s faeces under the microscope to help diagnose lungworm, although this isn’t 100 per cent reliable as there aren’t always lungworms present in every sample.
Dogs can’t pass the disease directly from dog to dog but they will pass the larvae in their waste. This then infects more slugs and snails who are eaten by more dogs, so the disease can rapidly spread within dog communities.
Preventing lungworm in dogs
Talk to your vet about regular treatment and prevention from lungworm, particularly if you travel with your dog around southern England or South Wales.
If you spot slugs and snails in your garden or local parks then be extra vigilant when out with your dog and always consult your vet as soon as possible if your dog becomes unwell.
Sick, injured and homeless pets have relied on us since 1897. Thousands of abandoned or unwanted, ill or injured, pets turn to us for help every year. Our doors are always open to them, and with your support, they always will be. We're a charity, so the more help you give us, the more help we can give pets.