You might not think your dog needs a muzzle but this is an important piece of training for any dog owner.
Blue Cross behaviourist Claire Stallard demonstrates how to train your dog to wear a muzzle.
Share this video
Top tips to take away
- Muzzles are an ideal solution for taking fearful dogs to the vet or out in public
- It is vital your dog associates wearing a muzzle with positivity and fun
- Take your time with muzzle training - do not be tempted to put it on your dog straightaway
- Be prepared for the fact your dog may need a muzzle someday - you never know how your dog will react until it is in a frightening situation
- Baskerville-style muzzles are the kindest
- If you dog does have a problem (with other dogs, wildlife, humans) it is your responsibility to keep him/her safe
- For easy visibility, purchase a muzzle that is a contrasting colour to your dogs coat
- Learn more about muzzle training on our pet advice pages