For Devon dogs and their owners who like to be beside the seaside, the Blue Cross Oddicombe Beach Dog Day on Sunday 27th April is an event not to be missed.
The popular annual event, organised by the Blue Cross rehoming centre in Torbay along with the Friends of Babbacombe Cliff Railway, will be jam-packed full of doggie fun, including races for all the family and a fun dog show. Registration starts from 10:00am with the fun continuing up until 1:30pm. Entry for the day is £1 per owner to register and £1 per class in the dog show. Races are free to enter once your dog is registered. The event is sponsored by regular supporters Gilbert’s Petshop.
Kelly Hennequin, from the Blue Cross rehoming centre in Torbay, said: “Our Oddicombe Dog Day has become one of the highlights of the canine calendar – every dog who is anybody will be there. It really is a fantastic day out and there’s such a lovely atmosphere. And as well as being loads of fun, all the money we raise on the day will help us to care for even more unwanted and abandoned pets.”
The fun agility course opens at 10:00am and the races start at 11:00am, with prizes for all the winners. The less energetic competition of the dog show begins at 11.45am, followed by relay races for all the family at the end of the day.
The Blue Cross cat rehoming centre, based in Watcombe, finds happy new homes for hundreds of cats and kittens every year and also rehomes dogs through its Home Direct scheme.
For more information about the Oddicombe Dog Day and all the pets currently looking for homes at the Torbay rehoming centre, call 0300 777 1550. To keep up with all the latest news from the centre, join the Torbay Blue Cross group on Facebook.
Notes to Editors
• Media and photographers are welcome to attend the Dog Day, please contact the press office.
• Torbay pet rehoming centre has been helping homeless and abandoned animals across South Devon and East Cornwall since 1987. The centre rehomes hundreds of cats every year and also a number of dogs via The Blue Cross Home Direct scheme.
• To contact the centre call 0300 777 1550 or drop in at Ashley Priors Lane, Watcombe, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 4SE (check the website or call ahead for opening times).
• Blue Cross has been dedicated to helping poorly, injured and abandoned pets for over 100 years. We opened the world’s first animal hospital in 1906 and since then our doors have never closed to sick and homeless animals.
• Today we run four animal hospitals and 12 rehoming centres across the UK, which provide treatment and seek happy homes for thousands of cats, dogs, small pets and horses every year.
• Blue Cross actively campaigns to improve all aspects of animal welfare, working with the government, schools and others to improve the lives of pets and their owners.
Sophia Khan, Blue Cross press office: 020 7932 4070 / [email protected]