You are here:

Life-saving surgery for puppy with dangerous appetite

A mischievous puppy who nearly died after eating something woolly has been nursed back to health by Blue Cross.

Three-month-old boxer Loki arrived at our Grimsby hospital after falling ill and vomiting.

Despite treatment for his sickness, his condition worsened and he had to undergo exploratory surgery to find out the cause of the problem.

It was touch and go for Loki initially, but he has made a good recovery.

Vets identified a large amount of woollen material lodged in his stomach and four incisions had to be made in his intestines to remove the foreign body.

With such major surgery, it was touch and go for a while as to whether or not little Loki would make it.

Veterinary Nurse Tracy Nicholson said: “We were very worried about him. He stayed in our hospital for intensive nursing – intravenous fluids and antibiotics, medication to prevent sickness, pain management and strict rest.

“He was very poorly and his owner was warned how worried we were and there was a risk he may not survive. We started a feeding regime for him of small amounts of a bland diet. He wasn’t interested in food to start with.”

But within a few days, Loki started to eat very small amounts and began to look brighter.

After seven days in our care, he was finally able to return home to his family for plenty more TLC, strict rest and continued medication.

Tracy added: “We are all really pleased and happy Loki has done so well. He has been back for two check-ups since and is doing really well.” 

Does your dog also have a habit of trying to eat things it shouldn't? Find useful training tips here