You are here:

Little dog has major surgery after swallowing lollipop stick

Amy in hospital when she was recovering from surgery.

A greedy dog’s life has potentially been saved by Blue Cross after she swallowed a lollipop stick during the recent heatwave.

Five-year-old shih tzu Amy needed major surgery at our Grimsby animal hospital after her owner spotted her gobbling up the wooden lolly remnants whole as Britain basked in what may go down as the hottest June in more than 40 years.

Vets first tried to make Amy sick but the stick did not appear, so she needed to be put on a drip and given an anaesthetic for an endoscopy to be performed.

But the lollipop stick could not be retrieved so Amy needed major surgery to remove it.

Tracy Nicholson, Veterinary Nurse at Grimsby said: “We can’t blame Amy for trying to keep cool in this hot weather but there are safer ways to do it than gobbling up the remains of a lolly.

"When she first arrived she was happy and quite pleased with herself but she would have become very poorly and could even have died.

“Thankfully her owners saw what she did and we were able to save her.”

Amy has since made a full recovery and is safely back home with her family, who are keeping their icy treats well out of her reach.

Her owner Zoe Weakley, from Cleethorpes, said: “As a nurse myself I knew swallowing the stick whole would not be good for Amy.

Amy back at home recovering from her ordeal.

“She is quite a greedy dog and does tend to eat her food in one gulp so I’m not completely surprised she did this. We will be keeping an even closer eye on her from now on.”

Zoe is taking part in the Beacon trail half marathon in the grounds of Beacon Hill Country Park to help raise funds for Blue Cross.

Click here for advice on keeping dogs cool during hot weather here.