Horse rehoming loan scheme
Blue Cross rehomes our horses on a monitored loan, which means we check in to see how they’re doing from time to time so we can make sure that they – and you – are happy.
If you and your family have decided you’d like to give a home to a horse or pony from Blue Cross, please have a look to see horses currently available for loan.
We are piloting a scheme to transfer ownership of some of our horses who have been on loan for a very long time. This will free up resources and allow us to help even more homeless horses who need our help.
Unwanted horses urgently need short term homes
If you want to do something to help with the terrible welfare crisis facing so many horses at the moment, then please consider giving a Blue Cross horse a short term home.
This frees up valuable space in our centres so that we can take in more horses who urgently need our help, and could be the perfect solution for you if you have the time and facilities for a horse but you’re not looking for a long term commitment.
We desperately need short term loan homes for:
Youngsters: somewhere they can grow, have handling and then be returned to us to be backed before going to a long term home.
Horses recuperating from illness or injury: these horses need that extra bit of care and attention to bring them back to full health.
Please visit our rehoming pages to have a look at the horses currently looking for short term homes and, if you see one that you’re interested in, fill in a homefinder form.
We also have lots of horses and ponies in need of longer term homes – and you can find out more about them on our rehoming pages too.
Can't find the right horse for you?
If you've had a look at our horses currently available for loan and can't find the right one for you, please call our Burford rehoming centre on 0300 777 1570 or our Rolleston rehoming centre on 0300 777 1520 for a chat.
Benefits of the Blue Cross loan scheme
There are a number of benefits of rehoming a horse or pony using the Blue Cross monitored rehoming loan scheme:
- The horse will be individually matched to you
- You can ‘try before you buy’
- We’ll give you an honest history of the horse
- Each horse has had a comprehensive health and training assessment
- We offer help and support if you have any issues with your horse
- If your circumstances change, you can return the horse to us
- It’s value for money
- You’re supporting a charity and enabling us to help more horses in need
Rehoming costs (inclusive of VAT)
- Companion: £100
- Lead Rein / light hack: £250
- Youngster project: £250
- Riding horse: £400
- Transport: £1.60 per mile
- Borrowers taking on more than one horse will be charged 50 per cent of the fee for the lower cost horse.