You are here:
Hertfordshire Home Direct Scheme
Welcome to the Hertfordshire rehoming centre. We’ve moved. Our centre is being refurbished but we’re still here and helping pets in Hertfordshire.
- Telephone 0300 777 1490
- Email [email protected]
- Facebook bluecrosshertfordshire
- Rehoming Centre Manager Kellie Brooks
Our Hertfordshire rehoming centre has moved to Luton while we carry out essential building work and our centre gets a makeover. We’re still helping pets in Hertfordshire. After 70 years of constant use, the kennel blocks are showing their age and desperately need updating so we can look after pets in our care in a calm and comforting environment.
While the building work is ongoing it’s not safe for us to look after pets on site or welcome visitors, however we are continuing to find pets new homes through our Home Direct scheme during the time our centre is closed.
If you need to find a new home for a pet you own, please call 0300 777 1490.
Home Direct scheme
Our Home Direct scheme is for dogs, cats, rabbits and other small pets whose owners can sadly no longer keep them but don’t need to find them a new home straight away. Pets stay in their existing home until a new owner is found for them. All pets go through our careful assessment and matching process.
If you are looking to welcome a new pet into your family, please take a look at our rehoming pages and fill in an application form. You can see pets available at all our locations or narrow your search more locally. Our pages are updated regularly so please keep visiting them.
Do keep checking this page to find out more about our exciting rebuild and how you can help us or sign up to Hertfordshire centre rebuild email updates.
Click here if you would like to make a donation to and help us rebuild the centre and lives of many pets.Please donate
Short-term volunteer foster caring
Would you like a pet but are not in a position to give long term commitment? Do you have a spare room you could offer a needy cat, have time to look after a pair of rabbits, guinea pigs and other smalls or to devote to cheering up an unhappy dog? Blue Cross is looking for committed people who can offer short term care to needy pets in their own homes.
What you will be doing:
- Caring for Blue Cross pets in your own home until they can be rehomed
- Pets might have lost their homes, be recuperating from operations or be too young to rehome
- You may also offer to foster pregnant females or mums and litters
- You will be providing all the care they need – feeding, exercising, cleaning, socialising, giving medication and grooming
- Keep accurate records
Benefits to you:
- You’ll be helping pets to have happy, healthy lives
- Enjoy all the joys of pet ownership without long term commitment and cost
- Gain practical skills, experience and a training programme
- Develop skills and enhance your CV
- Join a great team of like-minded people
- Arrangements will be made for holidays
- All equipment provided and costs covered
If you live within 45 minutes of the centre and are interested in this rewarding volunteer role, please email [email protected] or call us on 0300 777 1490 for more information.
Our online community
Join the Hertfordshire Home Direct Scheme online community and become part of our ever-growing network of pet owners and Blue Cross supporters.