Staffordshire bull terrier on sofa, looking into camera

Can dogs eat chocolate?

  • Dark chocolate – the most toxic to dogs, contact your vet immediately 
  • Milk chocolate – less toxic than dark chocolate, but may require treatment if larger quantities are eaten
  • White chocolate – very low risk to dogs, unless it contains another toxic substance eg raisins
  • See below for more detailed advice

When do I need to talk to a vet?

The risk depends on the weight of your dog, the type of chocolate and the amount they have eaten.  A vet can assess the risk for each individual case.

Dark chocolate

Seek urgent vet help if your dog has eaten dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is the most dangerous because it contains a higher level of theobromine, the chemical that’s toxic to dogs, but not to humans.

Dogs could become ill if they have eaten over 3.5g of plain dark chocolate per kilogram of their bodyweight. As an example, if your dog weighs 10kg, then they would be most at risk if they ate 35g of plain dark chocolate or more. Be sure to check the chocolate wrapper to find out the weight of the product.

Important: Cocoa powder is seven times more dangerous to your pet than dark chocolate. So, if your dog has consumed this, then you’ll need to speak to your vet straight away.

Milk chocolate

Call your vet immediately if your dog has eaten over 14g of solid milk chocolate per kilogram of their bodyweight.

If your dog weighs 10kg then they would likely be at risk if they ate 140g of solid milk chocolate or more. Be sure to check the chocolate wrapper to find out the weight of the product. 

White chocolate

This is not a risk to your dog because it contains a very low level of the chemical which causes the toxic effects, and therefore treatment is not required. However, it is still very fatty and full of sugar, so is not a good treat for your pet.

Caution: Remember that these calculations can be tricky and are guidelines, each dog is different. It’s important that your vet knows the type of chocolate, amount and content. If you are using the above calculations to work out toxicity levels, please ensure that you know your dog’s weight accurately. An incorrect calculation could be fatal, so be sure to speak to your vet if you are unsure.

Chocolate with fillings

It isn’t always straightforward to work out how much chocolate has been eaten, especially when your dog has eaten a box of chocolates, for example.  Animal poison centres have a list of the percentage of chocolate in products which contain fillings, which helps with the decision as to whether treatment is required or not.

Chocolate may also contain other ingredients that are harmful to dogs, such as certain nuts, raisins and alcohol. Therefore, even if the levels of chocolate your dog has consumed are below those listed above, you will need to contact your vet or Animal PoisonLine immediately if they have consumed another toxic substance to find out if treatment is required.

This advice has been written in collaboration with Animal PoisonLine, a 24 hour triage advice line for pet owners run by the Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) which is the UK’s only animal poison centre. 

Animal PoisonLine has a specialist team and helps pet owners who are worried their pet may have been exposed to something harmful or poisonous and will be able to tell you if you need to go to the vet or not. Their risk assessment is very accurate and 75 per cent of owners don’t need to rush to the vets after their consultation.

You can call Animal PoisonLine on 01202 509000 (charges apply) or find them at www.animalpoisonline.co.uk

Why is chocolate dangerous to dogs?

Chocolate contains a chemical called ‘theobromine’, which is toxic to dogs.

Even small amounts of it can cause:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • hyperactivity
  • tremors
  • seizures (or fits)
  • heart problems
  • death, in severe cases 

The darker the chocolate, the higher the level of theobromine, and therefore the more toxic it is.  

White chocolate, although it doesn't contain enough theobromine to cause toxicity, is fatty and full of sugar and can pose a potential risk of pancreatitis. 

Even without the danger of toxicity, chocolate is not a healthy snack for dogs, causing obesity and poor health, and is therefore best avoided.

— Page last updated 14/02/2020

Did you find this helpful?

We provide free pet advice as every pet deserves to be well looked after. We treated around 35,000 sick injured and homeless pets last year. We're so glad we've been able to help these pets who are unable to help themselves, but there are thousands of sick and lonely pets still in need, so we need to ask for a small favour.

All of our work is funded entirely through donations. People like you are essential to our work. If everyone who benefits from our articles is able to give a little back, we can reach thousands more pets. For as little as £1 you can make a difference - do you have one minute? Thank you.