How to make a cat wand
Treat your cat to a homemade cat wand.
A cat wand is a fantastic toy, especially for cats who love to chase. It provides a great outlet for their natural hunting instinct, and encourages play and exercise. Best of all, they're easy and cheap to make yourself!
Play involving string should always be supervised to prevent your cat from ingesting it or getting tangled (especially kittens).
What you’ll need:
- Wooden dowel (around 30cm in length)
- Five jingle bells
- Fabric scraps
- Fabric glue
- Bakers twine string
- Craft scissors
How to make your cat wand
- Wrap your wooden dowel with the bakers twine, leaving 10 to 12 inches at the end of the rod to dangle loosely
- Secure the twine with fabric glue at the base and the end of the dowel
- Tie all the jingle bells to a separate piece of bakers twine
- Tie the bunch of fabric scraps and jingle bells to the end of the dangling twine. You may need to tie a double knot to keep it all secure.
Now all that's left is to get your cat to try out your cat wand!
• 2 February 2024
• 2 February 2027