Merton animal hospital

Location Details

Blue Cross Merton animal hospital was opened in 1999 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.


Order a prescription

Our terms and conditions


Appointments are only available to those who have already registered. Always call before visiting.


You can register your pets at one of our animal hospitals if you:

  • receive certain means-tested benefits
  • live in one of our catchment areas

You will be charged for certain treatments. How much you’ll be charged will depend on the means tested benefits you receive.

Band A vet support is available for anyone who lives within our catchment area and receives:

  • universal credit where there has not been a reduction in payment due to work or other income such as savings
  • income support
  • jobseeker’s allowance (income-based)
  • employment and support allowance (income-related)
  • pension credit

Band B vet support is available for anyone who lives within our catchment area and receives:

  • universal credit where there has been a reduction in payment due to work or other income such as savings
  • working tax credit
  • child tax credit
  • housing benefit with no other benefit
  • council tax reduction with no other benefit (not the 25 per cent single person discount)

Catchment area

The catchment area for Merton animal hospital is:


NW8, N4, N5, N7, N15, N16


EC1, EC2, EC3, EC4, E4, E5, E6, E7, E10, E11, E12, E13, E14, E15, E16, E17, E18

South east

All SE- postcodes

South west

SW1, SW2, SW3, SW4, SW5, SW6, SW7, SW8, SW9, SW10, SW11, SW12, SW16, SW17, SW18, SW19, SW20


W1, W2, W4, W6, W8, W11, W12, W14, WC1, WC2

Other parts of London

CR4, SM4, KT3

Out of hours emergency services

If you are not registered with us, please call your usual vet practice before contacting us.

If your pet needs to be seen urgently, call Victoria animal hospital on 0300 777 1890 and hold until the end of the message to speak to one of the team. Out of hours fees will apply.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

We welcome registrations from those who receive certain means tested benefits and who live within our catchment area. Once you have checked whether you are eligible, you can register at our animal hospitals using our online registration form.

There is no limit to the number of pets you can register, but you must complete a registration form for each pet. If you are eligible for Band A vet support, you will only receive Band A discounts for two pets. Any other pets registered will be registered for Band B vet support.

Find out more about Blue Cross vet support.

You can book an appointment through our online booking system – PetsApp. Or call our animal hospital in an emergency or if you’re unable to find a suitable appointment.

If your usual London animal hospital cannot offer a convenient time or date, you may contact another hospital for an appointment.

How much you pay and the types of treatment you pay for will depend on the means tested benefits you receive. Find out more about the treatment you’ll be charged for. By charging based on people’s means, we can ensure our hospitals continue to provide lifesaving treatment and life-long care for many years to come.

Please contact us to check that you’re eligible and to book an appointment before visiting.

You will need to bring proof of your benefit, along with photo ID. If you do not have photo ID, you can bring a utility bill (gas, electricity or water) which includes your name and address.

We will also need to see a benefit award letter issued within the last 12 months. If the letter is more than six months old, award letters for jobseeker's allowance, employment and support allowance, working tax credits, universal credit or income support should be accompanied by a bank statement showing a DWP payment within the last three months. Council tax reduction or housing benefit letters should be accompanied by a rent statement dated within the last three months. If a rent statement is not available, we will accept an award letter. Those in receipt of pension credit will only need to show an award letter once a year.

Pet food bank

No one should have to choose between feeding themselves and feeding their pet. We collect donations of pet food and other items for our pet food bank here. If you’re struggling to afford food for your dog, cat or small pet, we’re here to help.

We’re currently working with:

You may need a referral from a frontline professional, Citizens Advice or a voucher to use our partners’ food banks. Blue Cross is unable to provide a referral.

We accept pet food donations anytime during our opening hours. Please let a member of our team know when you arrive and your items will be gratefully received.

We accept donations of:

  • wet or dry pet food in unopened tins, pouches or packets, including special diets eg senior, puppy, kitten
  • hay, straw and substrate for rabbits, guinea pigs and other small pets 
  • litter 
  • bedding

Sorry, we’re unable to accept donations of:

  • dry pet food that’s over three months past its best before date 
  • wet pet food that’s over three years past its best before date 
  • open packets of food or litter where the contents have been exposed to the air. Open boxes containing individual pouches or tins are accepted as long as the pouches or tins are unopened. 
  • food with damaged packaging, including dented tins, holes in sacks, grease spots on bags 
  • raw food
  • food for humans
  • food or items for horses. We hope to be able to collect these soon.

The pets helped by our pet food banks are:

  • cats
  • chinchillas
  • degus
  • dogs
  • ferrets
  • gerbils
  • guinea pigs
  • hamsters
  • mice
  • rabbits
  • rats

Support us

You can donate via our Amazon wish list and provide vital supplies that will go towards caring for vulnerable pets or give a pet a much needed treat.