Nigel Owens MBE helps to find Wales’ most loyal Pet
International Rugby referee Nigel Owens MBE is working with leading pet charity Blue Cross, to find Wales’ most loyal pet who has supported its owner or the wider community with their mental health and wellbeing during the coronavirus pandemic.
Nigel, who has spoken publicly about his mental health struggles and the need for others to seek support, is backing the competition in order to showcase the positive impact between pet ownership and improved mental health.
Speaking about the competition, Nigel Owens said:“The last 12 months have been a difficult for us all, and we know pets have helped so many with their mental health and wellbeing. As a pet owner, I know at first-hand of so many individuals who have found much needed companionship and support from their pets.
“I’m looking forward to working with Blue Cross in finding Wales’ Covid hero – our most loyal pet! This competition presents an excellent opportunity to recognise and applaud our pets for the positivity and happiness they bring into our lives.”
Becky Thwaites, Head of Public Affairs at Blue Cross, added: “We’re delighted to have Nigel’s support in helping us find Wales’ most loyal pet. We’re working with MSs and MPs across Wales and asking them to collate entries from their constituencies.
“To enter, please contact your MS or MP and outline in no more than 500 words how your pet has provided support in 2020. More details can be found on the Blue Cross website.”
If you think you know a pet who deserves to win Wales’ most loyal pet 2020 for their companionship and loyalty over these difficult months, more details and entry form can be found here bluecross.org.uk/wmlp2020 .
Members of the Senedd (MSs) and Members of Parliament (MPs) will be collating submissions from their constituencies, and to enter you will need to outline in no more than 500 words, how your pet has provided support and send it to your local Senedd Member or Member of Parliament by the 25th January 2021. Details of how to find your local politicians can be found here bluecross.org.uk/wmlp2020 .
The shortlisted nominees will be published on the 15th of February and winner announced on the 19th of February on ITV Wales news. The winner will receive amongst other things, a six-month subscription to Love Louie’s personalised pet boxes.
Note to editors
- Blue Cross is a UK wide charity that has been helping sick, injured, abandoned and homeless pets for over 120 years. We help thousands of pets in need every month by providing veterinary care, expert behaviour help and find them loving homes. We also offer education for current and future pet owners plus pet bereavement support for those who have lost their pet companion. Pets help us in so many ways and they depend entirely on us, with your support we can give back to more pets in need. Pets change lives. We change theirs.
- For more information visit bluecross.org.uk
Terms and conditions:
- The nominee must be a domesticated companion animal.
- The person submitting the nomination does not have to be the pet owner, but if they are not the owner, then they would need to present evidence to show that they have the permission of the pet owner.
- Submissions of companion animals that have helped to support the local community during this challenging year are also welcomed.
- If you are under 16, then you would need permission from a parent or guardian to take part.
- The nomination should include no more than 500 words on why your pet should be crowned Wales’ most loyal pet. Many people will have sought comfort and distraction from the coronavirus pandemic from their companion animals, and we are looking for those animals who have helped to support an individual or group’s wellbeing or mental health in particular during this challenging year. You can submit a photograph of your pet with your submission if you wish.
- The winner will be the pet who will be judged to have made the most impact on mental health and wellbeing during over the last 12 months.
- The judges’ decision will be final, and we will not enter into any correspondence concerning the final decision or the way the competition is organised.
- The deadline for submission to your MS, and MP is 25th January 2020.
- Your MP or MS will have until the 1st Feb to submit two nominations from their constituency or region to the national judging panel.
- Judging will take place on the week of the 1st of Feb.
- The finalists will be announced on the 15th of February, and the winner on the 19th February.
- All entrants agree to take part in media activity to advertise the competition and to raise awareness of the benefits pet ownership.
- By entering the competition, the entrants agree that Blue Cross can use their submission and photographs submitted in press and marketing activity, including in media coverage surrounding the competition.