Privacy notice for applicants to work at the Blue Cross
At Blue Cross we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Under data protection legislation we need to provide you with specific information about the data we gather and store about you when you apply for employment with us. This privacy notice covers how and why we use the data when you apply for a position with Blue Cross through to interview and offer of employment.
The data controller is Blue Cross of Shilton Road, Burford, Oxfordshire, OX18 4PF, a charity registered in England and Wales (224392) and in Scotland (SC040154). This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. As an organisation we will never sell your personal data and will only ever share it with organisations we work with where necessary and if its privacy and security are guaranteed.
Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
If you have any questions in relation to this Privacy Notice or about how use your personal data in general, please contact [email protected] or 01993 825 515.
If you would like to make a request to exercise any of the rights you have over your personal data, please send them to the Data Protection Officer at Blue Cross. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted by emailing [email protected], calling 0300 777 1897 or writing to: The Data Protection Officer, Blue Cross, Shilton Road, Burford, Oxfordshire, OX18 4PF.
We use Pinpoint, an online software product provided by The Infuse Group Ltd (t/a Pinpoint Software), to assist with our recruitment process. We use Pinpoint to process personal information as a data processor on our behalf. Pinpoint is only entitled to process your personal data in accordance with our instructions.
The data protection principles
We will always comply with data protection law, which states that the personal information we hold about you must be:
- used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way
- collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes
- relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes
- accurate and kept up to date
- kept only as long as necessary for the purposes that we have told you about
- kept securely
Your personal information
Information we collect from you
We collect and process some or all of the following types of information from you:
- Information that you provide when you apply for a role. This includes information provided through an online application, via email, in person at interviews and/or by any other method.
- In particular, we process personal details such as name, email address, address, date of birth, qualifications, experience and any information relating to your employment history, skills and experience that you provide to us
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence
- Details of your visits to our careers website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data and other communication data, the site that referred you to our careers website and the resources that you access
- Recruitment information – references and other information included in a CV or cover letter as part of the application process
Who it applies to
- Job applicants, employees and volunteers
What we use it for
- To enable us to administer the application process
Shared with third parties
- Information may be received from recruitment agencies
Legal basis for processing data
- Legitimate interest
Information we collect from other sources
Pinpoint provides us with the facility to link the data you provide to us with other publicly available information about you that you have published on the Internet – this may include sources such as LinkedIn and other social media profiles.
Pinpoint’s technology enables us to search various databases, which may include your personal data, to find possible candidates to fill our job openings. Where we find you in this way we will obtain your personal data from these sources.
Uses made of your information
Lawful basis for processing
We rely on legitimate interest as the lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal data. Our legitimate interests are the recruitment of staff for our business.
Purposes of processing
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To consider your application in respect of a role for which you have applied
- To consider your application in respect of other roles
- To communicate with you in respect of the recruitment process
- To enhance any information that we receive from you with information obtained from third party data providers
- To find appropriate candidates to fill our job openings
- To help Pinpoint improve their services
Automated decision making / profiling
We may leverage Pinpoint’s technology to help us select appropriate candidates for us to consider based on criteria we have identified. The process of finding suitable candidates is automatic, however, any decision as to who we will engage to fill the job opening will be made by our team.
How we store your personal data
We take all appropriate measures to ensure that personal data is kept secure including technical security and organisational measures to prevent personal data from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in any unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal data to those who have a genuine business need to view it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted through any online means, therefore any transmission remains at your own risk.
Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you and process using Pinpoint’s Services will be transferred to and stored at one of several datacentre locations in Amsterdam (Netherlands) and may be synchronised to one of several datacentre locations in London (United Kingdom) for backup and redundancy purposes. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
How long we keep your personal data
We retain all candidate data for a period of 12 months from the time of application. Your personal information will be deleted on one of the following occurrences:
- Deletion of your personal information by you via the 'manage your data' tool, or
- Receipt of a written request by you to us
Under the UK GDPR 2020 you have a number of important rights. In summary, those include rights to:
- access to your personal data and to certain other supplementary information that this Privacy Notice is already designed to address
- require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold
- request the erasure of personal data concerning you in certain situations
- request access to the personal data concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to a third party in certain situations
- object at any time to processing of personal data concerning you for direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means which produce legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affect you
- object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal data
- otherwise restrict our processing of your personal data in certain circumstances
- claim compensation for damages caused by our breach of any data protection laws
If you would like to exercise any of those rights, please either:
- utilise the manage your data tool provided
- contact us using our contact details above, ensuring we have enough information to identify you, proving your identity and address and confirming which information to which your request relates
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice may change from time to time and was last updated on the 20 January 2023.