You are here:

Surprise! You won’t believe what we found inside this dog’s stomach

An X-ray of Bobo's abdomen shows an egg-shaped dark mass inside the stomach

When dog Bobo was rushed to our animal hospital in a desperate state, his owner feared the worst.

The nine-year-old Weimaraner was in a great deal of pain, had been sick multiple times and was extremely dehydrated. Worryingly, Bobo had also stopped eating.

“Bobo was very ill and we had to tell them the devastating news that we were really very worried about him,” said Tracy Nicholson, a Veterinary Nurse at our Grimsby animal hospital.

“We gave him immediate care, with pain relief and fluids, and ran early tests. The poor boy cried out in pain when vets examined his abdomen, so we knew we needed to investigate further.”

We gave Bobo a general anaesthetic so we could carry out tests without causing him any further stress.

[PICTURED ABOVE: An X-ray showed up this foreign body in Bobo's stomach]


A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle plastic toy is shown next to a yellow egg-shaped casing. We found this inside Bob's stomach
Vets removed this Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toy, still in its plastic egg-shaped shell, from inside Bobo's stomach

An X-ray showed he had a foreign body in his stomach, and needed urgent surgery to remove it.

When our vets opened up Bobo’s stomach, they found a yellow egg-shaped box.

“The surgery team carefully removed the item and were shocked to discover not only had Bobo swallowed a Kinder Surprise plastic shell, but also that a Michelangelo Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toy was still inside!” Tracy explained.

We weren’t able to find the wrapping, so we don’t know whether this passed through or whether the cheeky dog carefully removed it before swallowing the chocolate egg.

“Foreign bodies like toys can cause blockages inside a dog’s gut, which can sadly be fatal if not removed in time, so they need to be treated quickly,” added Tracy.

“If you are concerned that your dog may have eaten something they shouldn’t have, call your vet as soon as possible for advice.”

The surgery team carefully removed the item and were shocked to discover not only had Bobo swallowed a Kinder Surprise plastic shell, but also that a Michelangelo Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toy was still inside! Tracy Nicholson, Veterinary Nurse at Grimsby animal hospital
Bobo after his operation
Bobo is now back on his paws and getting up to his usual tricks

After his surgery, our veterinary team monitored Bob closely and our nurses cared for him around the clock for two days.

He needed pain relief, antibiotics, intravenous fluid therapy and a special feeding regime to get him back on his paws.

Once he was well enough, Bobo was allowed to go back home under strict resting orders – and told to stay away from tempting chocolates!

Bobo visited our hospital for check ups in the weeks following his treat feast and his owners report he is now back up to his usual tricks.


— Page last updated 9/11/2016