A family of first-time dog owners are warning other animal lovers about the dangers of buying pets online after their new puppy was rushed to hospital.
Mona Al-Rifai agreed to buy gorgeous husky puppy Shadow after her son, Daniel, aged 13, saved his pocket money for two and a half years to buy the companion he had always wanted. Daniel found what he thought would be his perfect pup on a classified advertising website and pointed the cute dog out to his mum.
But within hours of bringing him home, eight-week-old Shadow became sick.
The new owners kept a close eye on Shadow and tried to make sure he was eating and drinking enough, but one morning, just days later, Mona found Shadow collapsed on the floor. Devastated, she rushed him to our Victoria animal hospital in central London for emergency treatment.
“My son was crying,” said Mona. “We were really worried about Shadow and very upset.”
Shadow was suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea, which can cause severe dehydration if left untreated and is seriously dangerous for a young pup.
“Mona did exactly the right thing by bringing Shadow to us when she did,” said Seb Prior, Blue Cross Vet. “Young puppies are particularly vulnerable to dehydration and can need urgent veterinary help when they show signs of gastroenteritis.”