You are here:

Is my pet eligible for veterinary treatment?

Our veterinary services are available to pets whose owners are on certain means-tested benefits. If you fall into this category, you need to check to see if you are in the catchment area for one of our hospitals or clinics.

Are you on any of the following benefits?

  • Pension credit (not the standard state retirement pension)
  • Housing benefit
  • Income support
  • Working tax credit (not child tax credit)
  • Council tax benefit (not 25 per cent single person discount)
  • Income based jobseeker’s allowance
  • Income based employment and support allowance
  • Universal credit

Please take your documents and proof of identity when you visit a hospital or clinic.

You will need to bring proof of your benefit, along with photo ID. If you don’t have photo ID, you can bring a utility bill (gas, electricity or water) with your name and address on it.

You’ll need to bring an award letter issued within the last 12 months. If the letter is more than six months old, award letters for jobseeker’s allowance (JSA), employment and support allowance (ESA), working tax credit (WTC), universal credit (UC) or income support (IS) should be accompanied by a bank statement showing a DWP payment within the last three months while council tax benefit (CTB) or housing benefit (HB) letters should be accompanied by a rent statement dated within the last three months. If a rent statement is not available we will accept an award letter. Those in receipt of pension credit will only need to show an award letter once a year.

Blue Cross does not get any money from the government or local authority and we rely fully on donations to run our veterinary services. So any contibution you make, however small, towards the treatment your pet receives will be very welcome.

Do you live in any of the following catchment areas?

Victoria, Merton and Hammersmith animal hospitals


All E- postcodes

South East
All SE- postcodes

South West
SW1, SW2, SW3, SW4, SW5, SW6, SW7, SW8, SW9, SW10, SW11, SW12, SW16, SW17, SW18, SW19, SW20

W1, W2, W4, W6, W8, W11, W12, W14, WC1, WC2

Other parts of London
CR4, SM4, KT3

It’s advisable to try and use your nearest hospital but, subject to the availability of appointments, you can choose which hospital to visit. If your usual hospital cannot offer a convenient appointment you are welcome to try another hospital for an appointment.

Clients who are registered at one of our mobile clinics can also use hospitals for appointments. Don’t forget to double check where you have booked your appointment before visiting or collecting a prescription!

Note that different postcode restrictions apply to our  Ambulance Schemes.

Grimsby animal hospital

  • DN 15-0, DN 18, DN 19, DN 20-0, 8 & 9, DN 31, DN 32, DN 33, DN 34, DN 35, DN 36, DN 37, DN 38, DN 39, DN 40, DN 41, LN 7–6, LN 8–3 & 6, LN 11–0 & 7

Cwmbran pet care clinic

  • NP10, NP18, NP19, NP20 and NP44. From the 1st January 2018, we'll also be covering NP4.

Derby pet care clinic

  • DE1, DE21, DE22, DE23, DE24, DE72 and DE73

Luton pet care clinic, opening early-2018

  • LU1, LU2, LU3, LU4, LU5 and LU6

Torbay pet care clinic, opening early-2018

  • TQ1, TQ2, TQ3, TQ4, TQ9 and TQ12

York pet care clinic, opening early-2018

  • YO1, YO10, YO19, YO23, YO24, YO26, YO30, YO31, YO32 and YO41

Mobile pet care clinics

If you don't fit any of the above criteria

Unfortunately not everyone fits our eligibility criteria, if you aren't eligible please contact an alternative charity such as:

  • PDSA
  • Celia Hammond
  • Mayhew

— Page last updated 29/01/2018