A group of animal lovers founded Our Dumb Friends League – the original name for Blue Cross – to care for working horses on the streets of London.
We bought the first horse ambulance to be used on London’s streets for £500, to transport injured animals to hospital.
We opened our first animal hospital in Victoria, London, thought to be the first of its kind in the world. It has never once closed its doors to needy animals since.
We launched the Blue Cross Fund to help animals during the Balkan War. We also helped animals in the First (1914-1918) and Second (1939-1945) World Wars.
To help servicemen bring dogs back from overseas, our boarding kennels in Blackheath, London, were used for quarantine purposes.
We launched national children’s dog shows to encourage children to care for their pets.
We became officially known as The Blue Cross.
We opened our new animal hospital in Grimsby.
After 13 years of campaigning, we successfully persuaded the Irish government to ban horse exports.
Our new head office in Burford, Oxfordshire, was officially opened.
We were the first animal welfare charity to employ an animal behaviourist to help owners with problem pets.
We celebrated our centenary and Her Majesty The Queen became Patron
Our animal hospital in Merton was officially opened.
We open our new horse welfare centre in Rolleston-on-Dove, Staffordshire.
We unveiled our new facilities at Thirsk and Southampton rehoming centres.
We refreshed our Blue Cross brand so we could embrace the changing times, reach out to new supporters and help more pets.
We now have 12 rehoming centres, four hospitals and by the end of 2014 we will have around 50 shops.
Work starts on our new centre in Suffolk
Refurbishment of our Bromsgrove centre starts
Our new Suffolk rehoming centre opened
Refurbishment of our Bromsgrove centre completed
Refurbishment of our Burford centre starts