Our rehoming services
- Have a look at our pets currently looking for homes
- When you see one that you think is right for you, click the Rehome me button and a Homefinder form will appear
- Fill in the form and press the save button at the bottom of the page. This will be sent to the local centre. We look at all the completed questionnaires sent to us on a first come, first served basis until we find a potentially suitable match for the pet. We find this is the fairest way to find pets a new home.
- If the pet is still available and we think you could be a good match, we will contact you within 48 hours to have a chat and tell you more about them, and then we’ll invite you to meet them
- Unfortunately, due to the large number of applications we receive for each pet at Blue Cross, we are unable to contact you if you have been unsuccessful on this occasion
- Depending on the pet, you may need to visit them a few times so you can get to know each other. We may arrange a home visit too, although this is not always necessary. The pet will be reserved to you while this happens – so don’t worry, they won’t be rehomed to someone else!
- If they don’t turn out to be a suitable match, we’ll do everything we can to find you a pet that is
- If they are a suitable match and everyone’s happy, you’ll then take your new pet home
- If you live in rented accommodation, it is not essential for us to see evidence of permission to keep a pet in your home prior to reserving a pet, but it is required prior to taking your new pet home
How much does it cost?
We ask you to pay a fee towards the cost of your pet’s care during their stay with us. The fees vary depending on the type of pet but here’s a guide to help:
- Dog, Adult: £160
- Dog, Puppy up to 4 months: £180
- Cat: £65
- Kitten: £75
- Rabbit: £30
- Guinea pig: £25
- Chinchilla: £40
- Rat: £10
- Degu: £15
- Other extra small: £5
After rehoming care
When you take your new pet home, that’s not the end of the journey for us. We offer ongoing advice for you and your pet, our Behaviour Services Team is here to help you. We also have a pet advice section on our website which covers health, behaviour and care advice for different species.
Rehoming a horse
Our horses are rehomed on a loan agreement, which is a little bit different to rehoming another pet. Find out more about rehoming a horse.